Sunday, September 2, 2012

Using the RHT03 temperature and humidity sensor

Continuing along with temperature observation weekend, today an RHT03 temperature and humidity sensor was interfaced to an Arduino.  As far as I can tell, the RHT03 sensor also goes by the name DHT22.  A number of articles are already online on this device; The best review I found was on Hacker Reviews, with the best set of documentation located here at AdaFruit.

Using the code library provided from AdaFruit, the sensor was hooked up and running within 30 minutes.  Instead of using the serial monitor, I piped the output to my LCD panel, and all appeared well on the first run.

First impressions are good - the temperature reading is very stable compared to the TMP36 (but as 5x the cost, I'd expect that), and the humidity sensor agrees with another reader I have on hand.  The footprint of the device is quite large compared to the TMP36, and the code baseline is a little larger to get comms going, but if you need something a bit more accurate, it appears this component is the answer.  See below for pictures of the implementation...


2 comments:

  1. I need help with the arduino code. I am designing a humidity and temperature sensor. the main components are, PIC16F628A, 16x2 LCD display and DHT22 sensor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The arduino code will obviously not run on the PIC, and will need to be completely redesigned for your microcontroller...

    ReplyDelete