Saturday, July 28, 2012

Windows 7 Explorer Bug

While rebuilding the network shares at Spare Time Notebook (thanks to the newly provisioned 12TB WD DX4000), I've decided to take the time to pull out a broom and sweep up 10 years worth of file server accretion. 

While the rearranging the furniture, I've found myself repeatedly seeing the following error (although never being able to nail down its exact cause, as it seems to manifest in slightly different ways, and with a few variations of complaints):


Since I'm quite certain the folder is not open in another program (and went through the usual set of 101 procedures to resolve the issue), it seemed there was something else going on.

After a few queries to the all knowing Google, it seems this behavior is due to a bug in the Windows 7 Explorer that has never been patched (not sure if Redmond has the college interns supporting Explorer these days or what, I find it hard to believe something like this would be ignored).  The best discussion I've found on this topic is found here, where the problem and a few workarounds are provided.

My workaround preference (without changing any global OS and/or folder properties) is as follows:
  • After receiving one of the usual suspect error windows, I cancel out of the dialog
  • Take Explorer out of Details view and put it into Content view
  • Attempt to Move/Delete/etc. the directory again - this time, all will be well
Hopefully this will be resolved in Windows 8, but I'm not holding my breath...

No comments:

Post a Comment